15 November 2008

boy/girl?



Spending all night in the ER is not fun. This is what Josh and I did last Monday night. I had been having a really bad pain high in my stomach over the last couple weeks. Usually it would only last about five minutes and then go away. This last time that it happened scared me. The really bad pain, the kind that had me gasping for air, lasted for a good two hours or so, and then it was a very uncomfortable pain for several hours after that. Apparently this particular night in the ER was a busy one. Once they determined I wasn't going to die, they had me waiting for a room....and waiting....and waiting. After a few hours we were finally taken back beyond the automatic doors, not to a room, but to a teeny bed and armless chair, shoved up against the wall in the hallway. If it weren't for the pain I think I would have enjoyed all the action and drama going on around us. It was seriously akin to the tv show, "ER". Complete with the guy yelling in agonizing pain at the end of the hall and the crazy mother screaming about the injustice of not having anyone at the hospital to watch her children while she gets treated for her bruises from the abusive man in her life. Craziness. While in the hallway they ran a few tests, drew some blood, and had me pee in a cup. Luckily I had a bathroom for that last thing. I don't even remember the last time I stayed up all night. In college it was a regular habit. It has literally taken me all week to feel human again. Granted, I am pregnant, but things like this just remind me that I am definitely getting older! We told the attending dr that we were concerned for the baby, so after all the tests came back fine and they said everything was fine, they offered to do an ultrasound just to check on the baby's movement and heartbeat. Everything was fine there, too. They diagnosed me with GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease, or GERD. I just have to be careful to not lie down after eating and pay attention to which foods affect me more than others, and they gave me a prescription for Prev Acid. So that was the exciting kick off to our week.

Now, we are very anxiously looking forward to finding out the sex of this little munchkin! We find out on Monday afternoon and we REALLY can't wait!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're ok. I'm with you on the anxious-to-find-out this week!! We go on Thursday....we're all hoping for another girl. :) I'm sooo excited to hear your news and also to see you in a few weeks, too!!
    Love,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete