27 July 2011

daisy cake. kind of.

I wanted to make a cake. I had been wanting to try this decorating technique for a while and decided that with this next cake I do I would try it. I also have been sitting on a new recipe for white cake that I was very anxious to taste. I decided the icing should be chocolate, because I haven't made a cake with chocolate icing since October.

That is unacceptable.

So I set out to make my cake. As things usually go around here I had planned on starting the cake in the morning and didn't get to it until about 9:30 that night. Which was about the time that JP came home.

With THIS!

I love flowers. Love them. I especially like receiving them. When I first saw these my idea of using chocolate icing went right out the window.


I knew my icing would have to be bright, and I knew I wanted to somehow incorporate these flowers into my cake.

And so, here is what I came up with...


Overall I am very happy with how it turned out.


My ruffles aren't very uniform. The technique actually ended up being a little harder than I thought, but it didn't take too long to get the hang of it. When I was a little over halfway done I couldn't believe how easy it was.


This was my first time trying two different colors in the piping bag and I love how this enabled me to blend the orange and white together.


For the top I wanted to be able to see the distinct colors of green and yellow, so I colored some icing yellow, then put in a very little amount of blue, making sure not to blend it completely. Then I dabbed it on with my spatula instead of spreading it smooth to give it more of a textured look like the flower center.


Now I need someone to eat it. Wanna come over?

2 comments: