26 February 2013

homeschooling update

I have really enjoyed having this one on one time with my girl.  I started homeschooling her this year for a few different reasons.  First, I was trying to answer the question, "Do I really want to homeschool?"  I felt what better way to answer that question definitively than by actually trying it?  However, since this was a "trial run" of sorts, I wasn't all that keen on spending tons of money on a curriculum, or taking Daisy through a rigorous schedule.  She is only 3, so really putting her through a school experience at this point really isn't absolutely necessary.  I found the perfect solution in THIS CURRICULUM!  Each lesson is laid out simply and clearly, she includes additional crafts/activities so you can pick and choose what you want to do.  It's very "mommy friendly", not a ton of prep time required and allows me to piece together the lessons to correspond with our busy days as well as our not so busy days.  And the kicker?  It's free!!  I don't know for how long.  As you can see from the link, the author is offering a $10 download.  If you have researched pre-school curriculums at all, you know that $10 is more than an amazing deal!
Treasure Map - "Exploring God's World"

A 3 out of feathers

Daisy has really been enjoying it.  Every day she asks me if we are doing school today? and what are we doing in school?  She already kind of knew her letters, but this is really solidifying it for her.  She has even started trying to write the letters on her own!

Letter Review - Painting with Water

She writes her name all over the place now.  I have to keep telling her to ask me first before just writing her name anywhere there's a flat space.

Painting rocks

Painting is one of her favorite things.  Painting or cutting.  A day in school where she is using a paintbrush or scissors is a good day in her book!

Sorting Silverware

I also love that the curriculum includes teaching life skills like sorting silverware, making her bed, cleaning up her books after reading them, setting the table, etc.  These are things that I obviously would (and do) teach her, but so many days things get crazy around here with 3 young kids and I would either just rather do things myself to get them done, or I just plumb forget to have her help!  This is great b/c it reminds me to include her and teach her how to do things around the house.

Cookie Caterpillar!

And what 3 year old (or adult, for that matter) doesn't like playing with food?  We are only about halfway through, but it has been a great time and learning experience for both of us!  






No comments:

Post a Comment