18 March 2014

Week 3 And The Power Of The Mind

Source

I've been thinking a lot lately about the power of the mind.  What we tell ourselves will be what we believe and will directly affect the outcome.

Today is Day 2 of week 3 on my journey.  Up to this point I have been feeling great, unstoppable.  But this morning when the alarm woke me at 5:30, I wanted nothing more than to crawl back under the covers and pretend I didn't hear it.

I stood in my closet, looking at my pile of work out attire that I had pulled the night before, waging a mental war.

I didn't sleep good last night.  Sleep is so important to good health!  I really should go back to bed since it's better for my health.

Don't do it.  Just get dressed.  You need this.

Is that a stomach ache?  I probably won't feel good all day if I get up now.  I will feel sick if I don't go back to bed.  Just one more hour.

You've pushed yourself through a heck of a lot more than a mere stomach ache.  You played a full tilt basketball game with the flu (true story).  You can do this.  You have to do this.  You need this.  

Yeah but that was forever ago.  I'm so much older now.

That's a dumb excuse and you know it.  You need this.  You will be better for it.  You will be happy you did it.  No more excuses; no more delay.

I got dressed.

I ran.

And guess what?  I may be a little tired, but I don't have a stomach ache.  In fact, I feel pretty good.  And more importantly, I had a victory today.  My body wanted to phone it in.  And I wouldn't let it.

What we tell ourselves matters.  We know ourselves best, after all.

So if your mental mantra is not helping you, change it.  Tell yourself you can do it.

Because you CAN do it.  Your body will do what you will it to do.  It doesn't have a choice.  So make the better choice.  You will be so glad you did!





2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Susan! Your post was encouraging and timely, thanks :) I'm going to go set my alarm now...

    ReplyDelete