31 March 2014

Week 4: PCOS Sucks.

Running/working out is not pretty.  Plain and simple.
I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) about 7 and a half years ago.  If you're not sure what that is, you can get some great info HERE.  My succinct and very poor explanation of it is that it is basically a hormonal disorder that, if left unchecked, can lead to many different diseases, including one that runs rampant in my family, diabetes.  A hormone imbalance can affect a person in a ton of different ways.  Emotionally, physically, it's a grand roller coaster ride that won't stop to let you off.  I usually love roller coasters, but I've had my fill of this one.  Doctors like to put you on birth control (to regulate cycle) and if you're trying to get pregnant?  Well that's a whole other ride.  Infertility rates are very high in women with PCOS.  I told my doctor once that I thought my birth control was messing with my system, that it was not helping in the area of my PCOS.  He basically shrugged me off, saying it has nothing to do with it.  My thinking is, if I already have a hormonal disorder, how is pumping more hormones into the mix going to help?  I don't know, I am still researching a lot.  When I was first diagnosed, the only thing I heard when being explained this condition was that it was going to be very hard, maybe impossible, to have children.  The only thing I have ever known I wanted out of life.  There is much more to that story, but my point in this post is this: There are a lot of things that could stop me on this journey to health.  I have a few things against me.  PCOS being one of them.  It is proven that if you have this disorder, it makes it even more difficult to lose weight.  But you know what?

I met my monthly weight loss goal this month.

It is HARDER to lose weight.  Not IMPOSSIBLE.  I am seeing more and more cases out there of women who are managing their PCOS with simple diet and exercise.  I have joined an online support group of PCOS sufferers.  I am doing everything I can to set myself up for success.  

The 5k I signed up for is on Mother's Day.  I have never run a 5k before, even though I have wanted to for a very long time.  How fitting is it, that my first one be a Mother's Day run?  This race will be very significant for me, in so many ways.  I've always been a stubborn determined person.  I have decided that having PCOS will not defeat me.  It will only make me more creative in achieving my goals.  

Week 4 was the hardest one yet.  Not only was I increasing the workout, I was sick with a bad cold on top of it all.  I almost didn't run on the really hard days, but I had several small victories this week, and I'm proud to say that I completed it and am now looking forward to week 5!  Bring it!


2 comments: